Senate File 450 is the safe passing bill that will require motorists to change lanes to pass bicyclists.
This bill also:
- Recognizes paved shoulders and bike lanes as adjacent travel lanes.
- Requires lights on bicyclists at night but strikes the reflector option.
- Allows for a 72-hour fix-it ticket if cited for not having a light.
- Allows vehicles to pass bikes in a no passing zone if no cars are approaching.
You can help. Senator Roby Smith (IA-47) is managing this bill and chairing the subcommittee. His district is eastern Davenport and Bettendorf.
TAKE ACTION NOW:
- Write Sen. Smith an email in your own words.
- Be polite and ask for his support on SF450.
- Talk about your own experience being buzzed on the road by motorists that saw you.
THINGS TO SAY:
- Change lanes to pass is easy for the public to follow.
- Change lanes to pass is easy for driver education students to learn.
- Change lanes to pass is easy for law enforcement to monitor.
- More than half of states have a passing distance law and two states have adopted change lanes to pass.
- Bike lights at night are a good addition to this bill.
A FEW TIPS:
- Include your address in the first line.
- Be VERY polite and thank them for their service.
- You can edit the email to tell your own story.